New York City’s most popular baby names in 2017 were Emma and Liam.
According to the city’s Health Department, there were 571 Emmas and 734 Liams born in 2017.
Liam was also the top name for boys in 2016, and Emma rose from third to first. Olivia, 2016’s top name for girls, fell to second.
Here are the top 10 names for girls in 2017:
And here are the top 10 names for boys in 2017:
Other fun facts:
- The number of NYC births fell 2.8 percent from 2016 to 2017.
- The most births took place in Manhattan, followed by Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island.
- Among the top celebrity names in 2017 were: Penelope, Daisy and Margot, as well as Ryan, Chris, Luke and Harrison.
- Some favorite geographic names include: Austin, Hudson and Kingston for boys, and Charlotte, Savannah and Catalina for girls.
- Rare names, defined as 10 or fewer children with those names, were Artemis, Tzippy, Reizy, Azriel, Zeus and Thaddeus.